Summer is when the mold in your home or business really wakes up. The heat, high humidity, and rainstorms create the perfect conditions for tenacious, unwanted growth to flourish. And if you think mold is just an unsightly nuisance, think again. Once it gets a foothold, mold can wreak havoc on your home or business, and can even be dangerous to your health. Here’s what you should know about it:
Q. I have black mold growing up the walls in my basement Can I remove mold myself? – Nancy K., White Plains, NY
A. First, it’s important to keep in mind that mold — in any form — can be harmful to your health.
So all of your mold must be removed. And there lies the problem: The mold growing on your walls is easy to see, but most of the mold growing in homes is hidden. The only way to pinpoint where it is lurking is with mold testing. (In our next blog post, we will discuss do-it-yourself mold testing kits vs. professional mold testing.) So yes, may be able to remove visible mold, but without professional testing, you won’t know how serious the problem really is.